Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Canceled

I'm procrastinating about calling my mom. Dave came down with a nasty stomach virus on Monday afternoon and was home sick Tuesday. Dave's sister Lisa, whose house we were going to for dinner tonight, came down with it today and was so sick that she canceled dinner tonight.

My mom and aunts every year have a traditional slovak meal on Christmas Eve with pierogies, bobotka, halushki, and halupki (they now make me a different version with mushrooms instead of ground beef). I miss it because we always have Christmas Eve with Dave's family, but the leftovers are just as good on Christmas day, when we go to my mom's for dinner. Every single year everyone in my family asks me if we're coming up for Christmas Eve, and every single year for the past ten years I remind them that we do Christmas Eve with Dave's family. We could go there this year...but Dave's belly is still not accepting food very well. We wouldn't want to be there very long, but the two-hour round trip always makes a trip to my mom's long.

So...we're going to stay in by ourselves. It's totally fine with me--I haven't had a completely relaxing night in ages. We just got the entire set of David Simon's The Corner miniseries...although the first episode was so heavy it made my heart ache. But my mom is going to freak out when she finds out we're not going anywhere for dinner! And of course she's going to want us to go there. I don't want to lie to her, but I wish I didn't have to tell her our plans got canceled.

Speaking of relaxing, I was able to document what the cats do all day while we're at work: a whole lotta nuthin.