Monday, July 27, 2009

fun weekend but worst flight ever

I’m finally home, back from my weekend in Providence and trying not to let the worst flight I’ve ever had taint the fun weekend I had.

My 8:30 p.m. US Airways flight into Philly last night was delayed, causing me to miss my connecting flight into Pittsburgh. They said the delay was due to weather and therefore not their responsibility and refused to compensate for a hotel, a taxi, food vouchers, or to even give an apology. I could either sleep in the Providence or Philly airport since the next flight I could get was the next morning.

So I stayed in Providence at Kate’s house once again, which I really appreciated—I know how tough it is to have overnight guests when you need to work in the morning, especially with a two-year-old. Thanks very much to Kate for driving me to the airport at 5:30 this morning to catch my 7:10 flight!!!

After not getting on standby for earlier flights, I got the 2 p.m. flight out of Philly and got home at 4-- a 16-hour delay. There were many of us with similar sob stories just trying to get home. In an earlier flight, people who had been booked on the flight got bumped to make room for crew members who missed canceled flights the night before. Of course, those people got compensated, but no such luck for all the rest of us who were supposed to get home last night and waited around in the airport for hours.

Well, at least I'm home. I'm happy to be home. I'll be posting pictures of my fun weekend in Providence with Kate later this week--we explored Providence, ate at really awesome restaurants, bought great stuff at local boutiques, walked on the Rhode Island coast in Newport, and relaxed at her very cool Dutch Colonial with her husband Billy, son Peter, and cats Dewey, Sid, and Bean. (I want to bring Dewey and Bean back to live with me. I think Kate and Billy are cool with that, but Dave won't be.)